Submitted by: Community Career Center Staff (information shared is courtesy of CCC Networking Packet)
Are you able to summarize “who you are” in 30 seconds? If you’re in a job search, one of the first things you will need to do is create your ideal “elevator pitch.” An “elevator pitch” gives a clear vision of your goals telling people:
-Who you are
-What you do
-The type of position you are looking for
Your elevator pitch will be used in many situations including interviews, social gatherings and networking events, such as those held at the Community Career Center – Lisle Township Job Club, MAP Group, Lean-In Women’s Networking Group, and MNG, Men’s Networking Group.
Here are some simple steps in crafting your 30 second story:
1. Identify something about yourself – the characteristics that make you successful at what you do and have done in your career. Example: “I am a self-motivated, enthusiastic marketing manager.”
2. Identify something about your experience. Example: “I have extensive experience as a Vice President of Sales and Marketing for three major companies, including IBM and Motorola.”
3. Your Education. Example: “I have an MBA from Northwestern University and a Bachelor of Science degree from Indiana University in Business Administration.”
4. Something unique about yourself. Example: “ In my spare time, I enjoy cycling and am a designated rider for Schwinn and Company.”
5. Identify how someone can help you and what you can offer them. Example, “If anyone has any contacts at ABC Company or DEF Corp., I’d like to have a brief conversation with you. Additionally, if anyone is looking for contacts at Smith Company or Jones Companies, please let me know. I may be able to help you, as well.
When you have identified those five pieces, you now have your perfected elevator pitch and are ready to network! “Hello, my name is John Smith. I am a self-motivated, enthusiastic marketing manager with extensive experience as a VP of Sales and Marketing for three major companies, including IBM and Motorola. I have an MBA from Northwestern University and a BS degree from Indiana University of Business Administration. In my spare time, I enjoy cycling and am a designated rider for Schwinn and Company. If anyone has any contacts at ABC Company or DEF Corporation, I’d like to have a brief conversation with you. Additionally, if anyone is looking for contacts at Smith or Jones Companies, please let me know as I may be able to help you, as well.”
Now you are ready to network!